Thursday, August 28, 2008

Saved by the Cross?

I just had what I feel was a beautiful and profound conversation with Andrew. We were saying his nighttime prayers, and he apparently remembered a previous conversation we had about the fact that Jesus saved him. He said, "Jesus saved me?" I replied, "Yes. Jesus saved you on the cross. That's why Mommy wears a cross on her necklace - so I don't ever forget." Andrew replied, "No, he didn't." I was slightly appalled and asked why he thought Jesus didn't save him. He sadly said, "Because I don't have a cross on my neck." I cleaned up this misconception as best as I could, explaining that at his baptism the priest drew a cross on his forehead, and as long as he loved Jesus and believed in him, then Jesus did save him. I also reminded him that he has a couple of crosses, but they're just not on a necklace. However, I was left a little stunned by this whole conversation. The innocence of a child raised as a Christian believing that Jesus didn't save him just because he isn't wearing a cross really translates for me all the adults who believe the same for such harder, personal, and often tragic reasons. If only giving them a cross would be enough to restore or find their faith.

1 comment:

Rose and Donnie said...

I liked reading this entry. I think it's amazing that he remembered that Jesus saved him from a previous conversation. I agree with you on the last point you made, too.